Prevent Cruelty

Animal Protection Program Q & A

What Services Does a Humane Officer of the Humane Society of the Sierra Foothills (HSSF) Provide?

Our Humane Officers are HSSF nonprofit employees responsible for enforcing California State Penal Laws regarding the welfare of animals. These Officers are appointed through the Superior Court pursuant to California Corp. Code 14500 et. seq.

What Services Do Municipal and County Animal Control Officers Provide?

County and Municipal Animal Control Officers are local government employees responsible for enforcing local ordinances regarding animals such as: animals running at large, animal noise nuisances, dog licensing, kennel inspections, and animal bites and care investigations.

Is the HSSF a Government Agency?

No, HSSF is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) charity that relies primarily on grants, private donations and sales from its used bookstore and its thrift store, both in Auburn, CA.

How can a Humane Officer Be Reached?

How Can an Animal Control Officer Be Reached?

Determine the correct jurisdiction and violation, and call the appropriate governmental Animal Services Department:

Placer County Animal Control Services
Roseville Animal Control
Rocklin Animal Control

What is Considered Animal Abuse?

As defined by California Penal Code 599b: “The words “torment” “torture” and “cruelty” include every act, omission, or neglect whereby unnecessary or unjustifiable physical pain or suffering is caused or permitted…” In addition, there are numerous other state, county and municipal laws covering a variety of specific animal “abuses,” limitations and prohibitions.

What is the Difference Between Abuse & Neglect?

Abuse is an act or omission that causes or permits a danger or foreseeable danger to an animal’s life (physical abuse or extreme lack of care/suffering). Neglect is an act or omission that causes or permits harm or foreseeable harm to an animal (acts or omissions resulting in harm yet not to the level of life-threatening).

Sweet donkey in his barn.